Passivhaus is a building standard which aims to dramatically reduce energy usage of a building. It can be applied to domestic as well as non-domestic buildings and to new build as well as refurbishment. Passivhaus buildings provide a high level of occupant comfort while using very little energy for heating & cooling with massively reducing running costs.
The key elements of passive design are:
- building location & orientation on the site;
- high levels of insulation,
- high performance windows
- elimination of thermal bridges
- high levels of airtightness
- a mechanical ventilation system with highly efficient heat recovery.